Monday, March 7, 2011

F.I.S.T. fit school day 1

My endless quest for training and expertise has brought me to Valyermo, CA to get trained by Dan Empfield on triathlon fitting. I decided back in October to become a FIST trained triathlon fitter. FIST (fit institute slowtwitch.com) was founded by Dan Empfield, I wont go into his background and history since most triathletes know it and its not hard to find elsewhere. Basically Dan is the biggest influence in the tri industry. FIST is a triathlon specific fitting method. In all fit schools I have attended they have discussed road, mountain, tri, etc. FIST is strictly triathlon specific. FIST is the standard by which all tri and time trial fits are judged by and it is the most sought after fit method for triathletes. The clinics that Dan puts on are for retailers, coaches and manufactures. At 1am this morning I landed and made my way to the Xantusia compound. I woke up this morning and took a look outside and was amazed (check the photo above) by the scenery and facilities. This place is a multi sport athletes wonderland endless trails, swimming facilities and good mountains to explore.





Dan has an unbelievable database of frame geometries and fit coordinates of thousands of triathletes.



Dan has accumulated his fair share of bike equipment over the years. The above picture is just a small sample. He has enough saddles to build a mountain.

The fits that we do here are all performed on size cycles.




Most of the fit schools I've done in the past covered tri fit but FIST takes it above and beyond the others. Today I learned some new things which other fit schools never covered as far a triathlon fitting goes. FIST education will be a very useful offering to our clients and I'm excited to start using it.